Choosing a pet can be very difficult decision. We all have such busy lives these days, having the perfect pet to fits our lifestyles is key to ensuring our new best friend receives the attention they need and deserve. If you are considering pet adoption, there are some things you need to be aware of.
There are too many animals out there that initially are brought home with the purpose of being cared for and loved but because they weren’t the right fit for the family they end up in shelters, strays on the street or even worse.
Most dogs can live up to 15 years and cats nearly 20 years with good care. Consider what changes you may have in your lifetime before you start looking for a pet. You have to be willing and able to make time for your family member no matter what. What type of pet is right for you? Take the quiz.
If you are interested in owning a dog you should consider:
- Dogs love to be outdoors, you will need to be willing to walk your dog at unusual hours.
- Dogs are much like children and need lots of attention so they don?t get bored.
- If you travel a lot you may want to consider a smaller dog that can travel with you.
- If you want a larger dog, you will need to think about accommodations because of their size a larger home with access to a backyard would be a better choice.
If becoming a cat owner what you should consider:
- Cats are more of an independent type of pet.
- Unlike their canine friends, cats can be left alone for longer periods of time if they are trained to use a litter box.
- Cats adapt quickly to their surroundings.
Owning a pet is very similar to having a child and pet adoption is something that cannot be taken lightly. They are a lot of responsibility. Items such as food, training, toys, grooming, insurance and veterinary visits can become expensive. Another responsibility will be to spay or neuter your pet to help with overpopulation. You should also consider adoption when choosing your new family member. Adopting a dog or can gives them another chance to be in a loving home, which all domestic animals deserve. Owning a pet is a privilege and once you find the right one not only will you gain a loyal friend, they will change your life forever in a positive way. Happy choosing.